Thursday, August 07, 2008

Mademoiselle Mustard


My lovely Brazilian friend, Clarice, is currently living in Paris - a lifetime dream of hers. Of course I get to enjoy her experience by osmosis, because she is my link to the beautiful food that France brings. Recently, Clarice sent me a jar of mustard. French mustard, but of course.

She had remembered how much I enjoyed Nigella's pork chops in mustard from Nigella Express, and since Nigella uses French strong mustard for this recipe, Clarice's gift would be the perfect ingredient for this already delicious dish.

The other night, I decided to make the dish but with slight variations... I served the chops with delicious and soft Israeli couscous. It turned out to be one of the most delicious dinners we have had in a long time.

French Pork Chops -- variation of a recipe by Nigella Lawson

Ingredients:
2 pork chops
2 teaspoons olive oil
two garlic cloves
1/3 cup white wine
2 teaspoons french mustard
1/4 cup half 'n' half or light cream

Heat the olive oil in a pan (preferably not non-stick), and while the oil is heating up, add two crushed garlic cloves with the skin still on. Then, cook the chops over a moderately-high heat until nicely charred/brown on both sides. Remove them to plate.

With the flame still on, pour the wine into the pan to deglaze the pan. Let it bubble away for a minute or so, and then add the mustard and stir in the cream. Cook for a further couple of minutes. Then, add the browned pork chops. Put the lid on and continue cooking over a low heat for five minutes.

Serve the pork chops with the sauce and with buttered noodles, couscous or steamed white rice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the idea of serving this with ptitim Ilana, brilliant!! I make this a fair bit but with slices of pork not chops, it's great.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Ilana, that sounds so good! I would rather use rice, couscous, ptitim than gnocchi too.
xx