Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Risotto di Funghi al Pomodoro


The old faithful. The old standby. Risotto. I had no idea what to cook for dinner, and decided to open up my Risotto! Risotto! book for some inspiration. I love the title of the book, given to me by the lovely Clarice. Something as wonderful as risotto should be repeated, and with exclamation points!
I had mushrooms in the fridge, but didn't feel like making the usual mushroom risotto. Then, I came upon a recipe for a risotto cooked in a mushroomy tomato sauce. Making it was a doddle. I am sure I don't have to tell you how to make a tomato sauce, as the method was very similar. Slowly fry a chopped onion and garlic in butter, add passata and rosemary, some wine and tomato paste, and finally the mushrooms. Then the risotto rice was added to this sauce, and cooked as it usually is, with the addition of ladlefuls of hot stock.

Then, I added the mantecatura of the butter and parmesan. Delish!!

This is an easy weekday meal. I know a lot of people don't like soupy rice dishes, and therefore, are put off by risotto.. But, really, risottos can be as soupy as the cook wants. I often find that high-end restaurants serve soupy-ish risottos. But, whenever I make it at home, it never really comes out that soupy. I think they must add a lot more butter than I do! :)) This time around, though, I added some more stock just as it was al dente, because I felt like a soupier risotto. So it's really all up to the chef.

3 comments:

Kelly-Jane said...

I made risotto recently, and the bug has bitten and I now need more.LOL! Yours looks yummy, especially with the tomato too.

vonsachsen said...

Ilana, I loooove your new blog-colors!!!
xx

Chefworks said...

I met Valentina when she came to SA for a food show and it was amazing how she not only makes food but makes in a artwork. The amount of passion that went into a single bowl of risotto....Its amazing!