Friday, December 22, 2006

The Sevillano New Year!

I've figured out the tentative menu for my annual New Year's Eve bash. Since last year, we have decided to have it at 6pm -- New Year in Seville, Spain. Rafa, as a hard-core Spaniard, takes New Year's Eve very seriously. There are the four quarters of the bells and the twelve grapes that need to be eaten -- it's a whole affair. It's actually a lot of fun; and I've realized I'm the slowest eater of grapes imaginable. When my Dad joined us last year, he, a fruitaholic, downed his 12 grapes before any of us. He rang in the New Year at 5:59.50 pm.

My sister likes bringing in the New Year six hours earlier because it means she joins in the festivities with my brother-in-law and nephew. Liam's still a bit too young to bring in the New Year at midnight. This way, the threesome can join in the fun, and all in time for Liam's bedtime. I don't mind it either... I think I'm getting too old to stay up that late.

New Year's is usually a cocktail affair with Cava and boozy sangria. I lay out all the plates on the table and try to fulfill my New Year's resolution from earlier that year... RELAX! Well, we'll see how I do this year. I think I'll start drinking early!

Updated Menu

The Nibbles:

Red Kidney Bean Dip
Eggplant and Mint Yogurt Dip
Quartered pita
Gravlax
Serrano ham
Chorizo (both sliced and in cold-cuts form)
Marinated Olives (variation of an Emeril recipe)
Walnuts (in Union Square Cafe style)
Cheesy Feet and Snowflakes
Cucumber and Pomegranate Salad
La Pizza Rossa
Pizza Bianca

The Desserts:

Malteser Cake
Cranberry and Orange Pudding (sans almonds)
Bowl 'o' Fruit! (for the fruitaholics -- daddy dearest and B-I-L)

The Tipples:

Cava (2 bottles)
Wine (2 bottles)
The Un-Cola (un-boozy version)

No comments: